THE 20 QUESTIONS MAY 2019
TOM COULTER born in Belfast 1954 . At 17 years old I joined the British Army and 4 years after I joined the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) . This was all during “ the troubles “ in Northern Ireland and I learnt a lot about the nasty game of politics . After leaving the police force I worked as a private detective for the next 15 years . I have been living in Thailand for the past 15 years and currently I am the operations manager with the Foreign Police Volunteers in Pattaya, managing a great team of 70 volunteers helping tourists and ex pats at a time of crisis . This keeps me busy most days.
1. When did you arrive in Pattaya and what brought you here?
I arrived as a tourist 2001
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
3. What surprised you most about Pattaya?
I was surprised at how much fun you could have here
4. Friends are in Pattaya for a holiday – what must they absolutely see or do?
There is now so much to see and do but a trip to Nong Nooch gardens is usually very interesting and not expensive
5. What is your favorite Thai food?
Geeng Kiiao Waan
6. What is never missing in your refrigerator?
Ice cream , I just can’t walk past Swensens
7. What is your favorite Thai word?
Mai Bpen Rai
8. What do you miss the most from home?
I miss my family back in Belfast and also the craic and banter you only get in Ireland
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I have been very lucky to have always done the jobs that I love . If I was to do it all again I wouldn’t change a thing . Why waste your life doing a job you hate
10. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
Boeing 737 max test pilot
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Home in Belfast
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
I would love to spend some time in South Korea
13. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
The Beatles / Beach boys
14. Apart from temptation what can’t you resist?
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
A decent action movie
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
I am very concerned about climate change and the destruction of nature and how this is going to effect future generations
19. What area do you like most, Pattaya city or Nongprue (the Dark Side)?
The Dark side
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Enjoy everyday in life