THE 20 QUESTIONS JANUARY 2019
THE 20 QUESTIONS JANUARY 2019
Every month the Pattaya People News Magazine will ask “The 20 Questions” to a person, who have done something positive in the Pattaya community. This month we feature Margaret “Margie” Grainger who is the driving force behind charities helping the most unfortunate people in Pattaya.
MARGARET “MARGIE” GRAINGER
Born in Townsville,Queensland Australia on the 1st April 1968.
Education: Have a degree of education, bachelor of education, and a graduate diploma in education as well.
Upbringing: Father was in the army and so we moved around a lot. I have lived in Singapore and Australia but in many different cities. All these changes has helped her as an adult to be able to adjust easily to new places and situations.
Former occupation: Taught in Australia for 7 ฝ year teaching Grades 1-3. taught in Thailand for 14 year specializing in Kindergarten and Grade 1. love taking kids who can’t read and write and helping them learn these skills. love instilling the love of learning above facts and concepts because this is important for life long learning.
Family situation: Mother and dad live in Queensland Australia. Margie have an older brother and sister who are both married and have children who have already grown up.
Sports: She like scuba diving and my favourite group to dive with is mermaids which is located in Jomtien. She started learning how to play soccer this year and She am playing in the under 10’s team because that is my current level of skill. Swimming is my favourite sport for fitness and She have done several ocean swims.
Hobbies: She like doing cross stitch but I often find it hard to find the time to enjoy doing this. I love cooking when I am at home in Australia because I have the time and ingredients. I love to make my own pasta and roll it out into different shapes.
1. When did you arrive in Pattaya and what brought you here? I arrived in Pattaya 20 years ago to teach in International Schools. I started at St. Andrews and then moved to ISE. Almost 9 years ago I felt like God asking me to leave my job, sell my belongings and trust Him. God led me to open us the Hand to hand Foundation with 2 other Thai ladies Pai and Mon. We started with no books, table, chairs or resources. Pleople laughed at us and said it will never work. Driven by compassion and love for people and God the foundation now feeds, educated houses and care for over 100 families every week. If you want to know more you can find us at
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere? Only as a small child. So the answer is no.
3. What surprised you most about Pattaya? The amount of prostitution. Before coming here I had never seen this type of thing on such a large scale. It was quite a shock really.
4. Friends are in Pattaya for a holiday – what must they absolutely see or do? Firstly they should visit Hand to Hand Foundation (ha ha ha). I think Art in Paradise and Nong Nooch Gardens are a must see.
5. What is your favorite Thai food? This is such a hard question. Can I choose 3? Yum Khai Dow, Laarb Moo, Massamarn chicken
6. What is never missing in your refrigerator? Apples and yoghurt
7. What is your favorite Thai word? Ha (five) because it can say 555 ( ha ha ha)
8. What do you miss the most from home? Friends and Family
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue? Nurse
10. What’s a job you would definitely never want? Accountant
11. Where did you spend your last vacation? Home in Australia
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one? Botany Beach Hotel here in Pattaya. It is an amazing sanctuary of peace and beauty right here in Pattaya.
13. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen? Sherbet
14. Apart from temptation what can’t you resist? Pancakes
15. Red wine or white? Neither a I don’t drink alcohol
16. Book or movie? Movie I can’t sit still long enough to read a book!
17. Morning person or night person? Night
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about? Injustice against the poor and children
19. What area do you like most, Pattaya city or Nongprue (the Dark Side)? Dark side
20. What would you say is your personal motto? How up and let God show off. It’s not about what I can do as a mere human being.
It’s all about what God can do through me!