THE 20 QUESTIONS NOVEMBER 2018
THE 20 QUESTIONS
Every month the Pattaya People News Magazine will ask “The 20 Questions” to a person, who have done something positive in the Pattaya community. This month we feature Colin de Jong, who are supporting so many charity and community projects here.
COLIN DE JONG
Colin de Jong was born on 4. March 1947 in Zwolle in Holland. All his life he has been an entertainer. Started his performance career as a drummer and singer in “The Shaking Beats” band (later renamed to “The Smashers”) at the same time he was working as a kitchen sales man, after that his live brought him to Canada, USA, Germany, Spain and Australia among other countries. He was the singer in the second best Canadian rock band “The Kids” and in Australia he spend two years singing in “The Virgil Brothers” (style of The Walker Brothers) before he came to live in Thailand where he have been a well known supporter of many charity and community activities.
1. When did you arrive in Pattaya and what brought you here?
– Came first time to Thailand in 1977 with the band “The Smashers” on an Asia Tour. Came back doing a Christmas Show presentation for Thai national TV, and acted in the movie “European Kick Boxer”. Bought my first house in Jomtien in 1999.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
– Lived in 14 countries in shorter or longer periods.
3. What surprised you most about Pattaya?
– The climate, great beaches, many top restaurants and the friendly Thai people.
4. Friends are in Pattaya for a holiday – what must they absolutely see or do?
– The fabulous “Nong Nooch Tropical Garden” and the entertainment in the “fun city” of Pattaya.
5. What is your favorite Thai food?
– Pat Thai.
6. What is never missing in your refrigerator?
– Milk and water.
7. What is your favorite Thai word?
– Suay (Beautiful).
8. What do you miss the most from home?
– Nothing – as everything is there included Dutch herring and ale.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
– Acting in a funny comedy movie. Actually still working on my comedy movie “Pattaya Has It All”.
10. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
– Garbage collector.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
– Vancouver, Canada.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
13. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
– The Beatles and the film West Side Story.
14. Apart from temptation what can’t you resist?
– I can never say no to a friend in need.
15. Red wine or white?
– Red wine.
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
– Night person.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
– Supporting kids, who can’t go to school. Had my Colin Young scholarship foundation where I gave all the income from my albums to charity.
19. What area do you like most, Pattaya city or Nongprue (the Dark Side)?
– The Jomtien area.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
– Live in peace with good health and supporting the Pattaya community.